Thursday, May 19, 2011

this painting has no name

The finished painting!  I realized as I was writing this post that I haven't yet named it.  I've been trying to stay looser in my paintings, and let go of that holding-your-breath-trying-to-make-it-just-so feeling.  It's bunches more fun if you are not freaked out every time you pick your brush up.



Sorry about the quality of these images.  I don't have a real camera (these are iphone pics) and the painting is too big for my scanner.  Yes I know I could scan it in pieces and all that jazz, but who has time for that?! (I do not...as I type this I ought to be working on something else, but I get excited when I finish something!)




I know you guys like seeing the painting surrounded by the chaos of my table top...




That thing in the upper left corner is my color work book.  I had to paint what felt like a billion swatches of different color combinations, plus shades and tints for each combo, for a painting class I took at city college.  The class itself was pretty useless, but I've kept and used that color work book ever since.  It's a super helpful thing to have, if you  have the patience to make one.  


9 comments:

Gabby Zapata said...

This turned out lovely! :) I loved seeing your process work as well!

OurWanderingAdventures said...

This looks fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this...As always!

Wouter Bruneel said...

Great piece!

Edward Juan said...

Its very cute gette, and I like to see your work desk more.
How about a gay couple huh?

Daron Leah Nefcy said...

awesome awesome awesome!

Sage said...

it's so cool, seeing it go from rough sketch to final work of art! i wish i could draw as good as you. :)

Shannon said...

I love this! It's adorable! When are you gonna start selling prints again???

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Hows about "Under the Umbrella"?